Just pondering - Rev CGI & iPhone

Andre Garzia andre at andregarzia.com
Mon Oct 6 10:11:44 EDT 2008

Richard,

The iPhone is using a special version of Safari as it's browser. This
version has extensions that are specific to the iPhone and allow you
to manage screen rotation, gesturing and the like. So you can create
really nice web applications for iPhone. Revolution in this case
doesn't really help iPhone web applications any more than any other
web language out there, the real trick of doing iPhone web
applications is the html, css and javascript extensions that allow you
to create apps that fit the iPhone human interface guidelines (or at
least a pleasant experience)

The iPhone app store is making money, but I think it is hard to enter
now, I've applied on august and haven't been approved (or rejected)
yet. As for web applications, I don't know how to make money from them
on the iPhone, I believe if you make a nice service you can pull it
out. Something along the lines of evernote.com might do the trick.
Evernote has native clients for mac, windows, iphone and also a web
app, all sync'd it's very nice. I believe that an easy to use service
with an interface made for iPhone and a grown up interface for
desktops might be sucessful.

Now if we only could use the geolocation api from the web
applications, things would get really fun.

PS: remember that as apple added extensions for iPhone Safari, it also
removed features. For example, there's no input type file in Mobile
Safari which sucks since I wanted to do an uploader for the camera
pictures...

Andre