more rev 3.0 woes - losing the will to live

Bernard Devlin bdrunrev at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 07:45:27 EDT 2008

Since I've now had to revert to using Rev 2.6.1 from 3 years ago, I need to
convert various stacks to 'legacy format'.  After doing this with some of
stacks, I then found that they were still in a post 2.7 format.  I thought
I'd made a mistake and went over it many times using Rev 3.0 and 2.6.1, but
the stacks simply wouldn't convert.  I was reduced to examining the stacks
in a text editor to see that they did indeed say 2.4, but then as soon as I
quit Rev 3.0 they would not load in 2.6.1, and looking at them again in a
text editor, they were back in 2.7 formt.  But yesterday I was able to save
my performance test stack in legacy format (maybe it was written on 2.6.1
though, I can't remember).  I just opened it in 3.0, and saved it in 2.6.1
as legacy and it remained as legacy after rev 3.0 quit.

But here's what I'm seeing with some stacks:

[user at localhost ~]$ ls *.rev
perf-test-leg.rev test-legacy.rev
[user at localhost ~]$ more test-legacy.rev
#!/bin/sh
# MetaCard 2.4 stack
# The following is not ASCII text,
# so now would be a good time to q out of more^L
[user at localhost ~]$ more test-legacy.rev
      <<<---- REV 3.0 was quit just before this point
REVO2700�revNavigator 1 �R��global
gScriptBuddyIDarray,gScriptBuddyLineArray,gSB
UpdateSelection,gSBLeadSpaces

I had thought maybe it was because these stacks were in the plugins folder
of 2.6.1 that they were being reverted on exit from 3.0.  But then I saved
one of them to my home directory, and checked it was in 2.4 format.  But as
soon as I quit Rev 3.0 it was back in 2.7 format (as you can see above).  At
no point did Rev 3.0 ask me if wanted to save the stacks when I chose to
quit, so I can see no reason why they are back in 2.7 format.   I tried it
on 2.9, and it too re-converted the stack on quitting.

Could someone else please confirm this apparently erratic behaviour.  I'm
starting to doubt my sanity.  The particular stacks were the stsmlxEditor
and Geoff Canyon's revNavigator.  Maybe it is only a Linux thing.

I just want to know that saving in legacy format is still working reliably.
 I have a lot more of my own stacks to convert, and if this doesn't work,
I'm stuck with the insanely buggy 3.0 (I have no confidence in 2.9 either -
it locked up my laptop yesterday requiring a hard reset).

Bernard