message box history - confused

Bernard Devlin bdrunrev at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 04:05:22 EDT 2008

Bonjour Eric

Well, I think it all depends on perspective - the sun probably doesn't see
itself as a star either, from its perspective it's just a big planet
surrounded by some less tropical planets.  But I apologize if my praise was
embarrassing, and I will try to prevent myself from causing you
embarrassment in future (although of course I still welcome any help you can
provide!)
I am interested in what you say that the message history should not be saved
if Rev crashes.  Since they are saved, that gives me something to
investigate.

I had implemented my own backscript to log all the standard Rev messages and
log them, but it didn't reveal anything untoward preceding a crash.  Then I
found out about Rev's own built-in (but undocumented) verboseLog.txt, which
logs far more things (certainly including the setting of revGeneral custom
properties, and apparently also function calls).  The log produced this way
is far more verbose than mine (they are even logging things like 'idle'
messages).  However, after analyzing that log following two crashes
yesterday, it also revealed nothing (the last few statements in it were just
'mouseMove' and 'mouseLeave').

Since Jacques informs us that this is also the logging mechanism used in the
Windows crash logs, and they were unhelpful to Runrev in diagnosing my
crashes on Vista, it looks to me that unless we as users can identify some
observable sequence of actions on our part there is currently no tool that
aids in debugging crashes.

Bernard