RR in Wine

Bernard Devlin bdrunrev at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 03:42:59 EDT 2008

In my experience with the Windows version of Rev 3.0 on Wine 1.0 on Fedora
8, Rev will install fine, but it is unusable.  All of the graphics come up
black.  I didn't waste more than a minute on it after I saw that.  I didn't
even bother to report it as a bug.
I was going to just go through the various bugs I've found with Rev 3.0 on
Fedora in the past two weeks, but it is easier if you just follow this link:
http://quality.runrev.com/qacenter/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&short_desc_type=allwordssubstr&short_desc=&long_desc_type=substring&long_desc=&bug_file_loc_type=allwordssubstr&bug_file_loc=&version=3.0.0GM3&op_sys=Linux&emailtype1=substring&email1=&emailreporter2=1&emailcc2=1&emailtype2=substring&email2=&bugidtype=include&bug_id=&votes=&chfieldfrom=2008-09-25&chfieldto=Now&chfieldvalue=&cmdtype=doit&order=Reuse+same+sort+as+last+time&field0-0-0=noop&type0-0-0=noop&value0-0-0=

Hope that transfers ok, if not then search RQCC for Linux and you'll see the
bugs.  I've decided to just give up on it until there is actually a public
statement that Rev on Linux has received the same amount of quality testing
as it has on Windows and OS X.

If you are going to try it on Linux, then to ease your pain I would suggest
Ubuntu - when I tried on SuSe last week, the unlock-code screen came up in
Chinese, when all other apps were in English.  Following the same download
link on the runrev site last week seemed to download different versions of
Rev, so maybe they've fixed that.

There may have been some testing on Ubuntu before Rev 3.0 was released.
 Peter seems to be quite content with that (god knows, he's suffered long
enough with Rev problems on Linux in the past few years).  I haven't been
able to try it on Ubuntu as I couldn't get that to install in a VM.

Bernard