OT: Getting HTML text into an email message

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Fri Nov 28 02:13:33 EST 2008

Since no one responded to this, I'll take a stab...

> But what is the magic? Is there a way in Run Rev to convert an HTML
> page directly for email?

The problem here is that as soon as you leave the realm of plain text, you
enter the world of "what does the specific email client support"? That is,
assuming you want Mail to be the email client here that will be sending the
message, you need to then play in Mail's sandbox using whatever AppleScript
is supported in Mail to do this (more on this later). But of course whatever
you do will only work with Mail; if you want to send an HTML-formatted email
from Entourage or from Outlook (PC), etc. you'll need to do something
totally different.

The other alternative (if you don't want to use a third-party email client),
is to have Rev send SMTP-based email itself, and if you're interested in
that avenue, there are a couple of libraries out there to help you send SMTP
email.

Back to Mail... since you're sending a formatted field, I'm assuming it's
not pictures, so one way to do what you're looking for would be to
AppleScript the mail message by styling the text in the same way the field
is styled in Rev... there may be others, but this is the one I'm aware of...

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.
Email: kray at sonsothunder.com
Web Site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/