Jan Schenkel's merge tutorials

Stephen Barncard stephenREVOLUTION2 at barncard.com
Mon Nov 24 12:06:05 EST 2008

At 1:51 PM +0000 11/24/08, Phil Jimmieson wrote:
>The ideal would be if Rev could save the images as RTF directly,
>alternatively, if the RTFText could at least contain a reference or

Here's some food for thought:

Without pouring through the RFCs right now, I don't' think the
original RTF standard alone allows for images integrated with text,
but Apple's little TextEdit app can save .rtfd documents, which do.
RTFD is just another apple folder as bundle with two files inside.

Pasted Graphic.tiff
TXT.rtf

  If one control-drags the bundle, one can look inside. It looks like
this code could be hacked just as easily, using graphics tags.
Looking at this might be interesting on both platforms.

   The question is, will it diplay on PCs? On a PC of course the
bundle will just look like a folder in the Windows world. But the
files are next to each other and simply referenced in the rtf. My
guess is that Word could read these, just go inside and read the rtf
document, perhaps the new PC Word 2010 is hip enough to recognize an
Apple bundle.

An aside to the .rtfd suffix -- back in the mid-late-80's when I was
first working with HC,  I was writing a lot of software for people
around a recording studio, and I had created a couple of special file
formats. I got the studio signed on to the developer program at Apple
(a friend of mine knew Chris Espanosa from childhood) and as a
developer, found out about the file type registration system, you
know, the four-letter code that get imbedded in the files using the
FILETYPE command in rev.
The creator type I registered was BARN
The filetypes I registered were RTFD and RTFB.

shoud I sue? :)

(this is probably the first time and the last time I have ever used a smiley)
I still connect it with "Have a Nice Day" from the 70's, which today
means "Drop Dead".

--

stephen barncard
s a n  f r a n c i s c o