Unicode font installation on Linux

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Nov 24 11:19:20 EST 2008

OK, well at the risk of making suggestions to someone probably far better
informed than myself, so please be patient, these are a few thoughts that
occur:

1)  Since you are on Ubuntu, maybe try with a non-Debian based distro, like
Mandriva for instance, or a slackware based one like Zenwalk.

2)  Try doing fc-cache not as su, but from a root terminal session.  I do
not know why this should make a difference, but have come on reports that it
does.  Well, you can see one possible difference, the environment of the
account.

3)  Try installing the font in a non-manual way, like for instance spadmin
from openoffice.  Or the Mandriva font installer.

4)  Try dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig.  No, I don't see why this should help
either, but just to rule it out.

It has always been very weird that Rev should fail to see fonts that all
other apps see, but I have asked but never got any specific account of where
exactly Rev looks for its fonts.  It would help a lot if we could get that.

When first thinking about this I wondered if it was an fc-cache issue, there
is something about fontconfig and caching; the fonts have to be readable by
FreeType, but it cannot be this if they are being seen by all other
applications.  In fact, its hard to see how any of the above suggestions
should help with a situation where only Rev is failing to see the fonts.
But I can't think of anything else to try, and if one of them did happen to
work, that would tell us something.

It might also be interesting to install Rev in one of the BSDs and see if it
happens there.

Most of all probably we need an account of what Rev does to find fonts in
Linux/Unix. It must be doing something different from what all other apps
do, so they should be able to tell us what it is.