Converting Hypercard Stack -- No Scripts?

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed Nov 19 23:16:47 EST 2008

Sivakatirswami wrote:

> I tried opening again in 2.8.1, compact stack, save as again, open in
> 3.0... still no go...

The compacting pretty much has to be done in HyperCard, and it's a
fairly important step. Some uncompacted stacks won't open at all in any
version of Rev, or may open incorrectly (missing cards and objects.) It
has to do with HyperCard's file format and how much junk gets stored in
uncompacted stacks. Compacting twice in a row in HC before moving the
stack to Rev will clean out almost all the junk and allow Rev to see the
file structure correctly. If you no longer have access to HC then what
you're doing is probably the only way.

> I would call this a bug and the best way to submit it will be with my
> original HC stack + the converted version... it's not an emergency so I
> think I will let the Rev team deal with it.

It might be a bug. But it also might be that the uncompacted HC stack
was just too far gone to decipher correctly.

I was recently turned on to Mini VMac. It's a marvel; it allows you to
run HC on an Intel machine (and I believe there is one for running HC in
Windows too.) It's open source. It does require a very old Mac ROM and
it only emulates a Mac Plus. But that's enough to run HC 2.x and do the
compaction.
<http://minivmac.sourceforge.net/>

Now that I just looked up the link, I see they have added color
capabilities to it just last week. Maybe it will emulate a newer Mac now.

This is another good link, explaining how to install a Mac-on-a-stick.
It has all the download links, including one for ROMs:
<http://www.nothickmanuals.info/doku.php/minivmac>

I have a copy of Mac OS 7.somthing running HC 2.4.1 on a USB stick, it's
pretty neat. Remember waiting ten minutes for the Plus to boot up? Mini
vMac boots the whole OS in a few milliseconds. Kind of destroys the
nostalgia.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com