Proper Text Returns Mac -> Win ?

Jim Ault JimAultWins at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 14 15:14:12 EST 2008

On 11/14/08 11:44 AM, "Scott Rossi" <scott at tactilemedia.com> wrote:

> Hi List:
>
> I'm sure this is ridiculously easy, but am wondering if anyone can explain
> to me how to generate a simple text document on OS X that has return
> characters which read properly Windows.  I've tried replacing return
> characters with different values, writing as binary (binfile) data instead
> of file, and still the text refuses to wrap properly on Windows.  My dumb
> workaround wound up being to physically copy and paste text into a Win text
> file.
> What am I missing?
Lookup CRLF in the docs
Use the CRLF constant as an easier-to-read substitute for numToChar(13) &
numToChar(10).

Comments:
The CRLF constant is needed because you can't type the characters it
represents in a script.

The line feed character is the standard end-of-line delimiter on Unix
systems. The end-of-line delimiter for Mac OS systems is a carriage return,
and the end-of-line delimiter for Windows systems is a carriage return
followed by a line feed.

Hope this helps in your conversion.  Some clipboard operations and file
import defaults will automatically try to convert from one system to the
other.  This is not always reliable.

Hope this helps.

Jim Ault
Las Vegas