building a installer with rev

Tiemo Hollmann TB toolbook at kestner.de
Fri Nov 14 03:54:06 EST 2008

Hello,

I have read the archives about this issue, but didn't found an answer to my
specific needs. Perhaps somebody can give me some advice. What I want to do
is to distribute my app on DVD-ROM for Mac and Win. It is heavily based on
Videos (7.5GB), that's why the medium is not a CD-ROM, but a double layer
DVD-9.  My app should be runable direct from DVD-ROM (on Win with
autostart), that's why I can't have any packaged/zipped content on the
DV-ROM. So far no problem. Now I want to supply the user that he can also
install / copy the whole app on HD to be independent of the DVD-ROM. Here I
have some open questions.

On Mac:

- The easiest way would be to tell the user, that he just can copy the whole
DVD-ROM into any folder on HD and that's it. I think to provide a
"copyAll-setup" wouldn't bring much more comfort

- Are there any issues, not to do this, or what the user would expect coming
along with a HD install (like a desktop alias on Win)?

On Win:

- All installers I have seen so far want to compress/zip the content of my
app on the medium and do an unzip while installing. Because all my files
have to be runable from DVD, they can't be compressed and I can't use any
installer (like innosetup or installgadget or stuffit) Do you know any
installer, which just can copy the files without having them packaged
before?

So my thought was to create my own setup with rev, which just copies all the
content of my DVD to HD, I don't need any drivers, registry settings or
things like that, just a full copy.

- If I would offer the user to install into the standard C:\program files,
how will Vista give me the privilege of admin rights to copy to that
destination? I have read sometime before, that Vista just recognizes a setup
from the name "setup.exe". Is this true and sufficient? How to prevent from
being virtualized?

- How can I create an alias on the desktop and startmenu to my app with rev?
Is it possible at all?

- How to create an uninstall? After having deleted all my files in
C:\programm files\ (what thinks Vista about that?), how do I delete "myself"
(the uninstall.exe) Never done such a thing before.

- Are there any other issues, I haven't thought about yet and I should tell
the win user also, just to copy the DVD wherever he wants to and has to care
about it for himself?

Thanks for your experience and recommendations

Tiemo