receiving messages during a drag

Ben Rubinstein benr_mc at cogapp.com
Thu Nov 13 04:42:56 EST 2008

I'm trying to accept a drag+drop into a scrolling group.  All fine, except
that I want to have the group scroll automatically if the user hovers over the
top or bottom.

If the dragMove shows that the position is at top or bottom of the area, I
want to scroll the group a bit; then if they're still then a few ticks later,
scroll it a bit more.

Picking up the dragMove into an appropriate spot is fine; but I then tried to
send myself a message to scroll a bit more, which I cancel if they move out of
the zone.  However, it seems that messages aren't sent while a drag is in
progress - instead the first message isn't sent until the drag ends.  So I
currently I have something where the user has to wiggle around at the end of
the group to scroll it - not great!

Is this a known problem?  Is there a way to get periodic operations during a
drag?

Or do I have to block, once I detect that I'm starting to scroll the group,
and just poll the mouse position and mousebutton to kep scrolling until the
mouse moves or the button is released or I'm scrolled all the way?

(And if it is the case that periodic operations are simply stopped during a
drag; is this a bug?)

TIA,

- Ben