Random algorithm

Jacques Hausser jacques.hausser at unil.ch
Tue Nov 11 17:57:41 EST 2008

Hi Mark (and Mark),

For small series, sure, it is random enough. But I'm afraid that the
period is actually rather short for what I suppose is a linear
congruential generator (for instance Excel algorithm was famous for
its period of 32000 numbers only), not speaking of the pattern due to
serial correlations you can detect if you spread your numbers in a
multidimentional space. In contrast, Mersenne twister has
theoretically a period of 4.3 E 106001-1, and does not show patterning
in spaces of more than 600 dimensions. But even this algorithm is not
fit for encryption... that's not my problem, luckily !
... and for the other Mark (Schonneville) to spare a mail ;o) : Its a
very good idea, but not practicable in my case. I want the application
to be an independant one, that the students can use not only in the
formal exercise sessions, but also for their personnal work.

Thank you for your remarks and suggestions anyway

Jacques

E-Mail:	jacques.hausser at unil.ch