Where did the CrashReporter logs go?

Ben Rubinstein benr_mc at cogapp.com
Thu Nov 6 04:43:05 EST 2008

I'm currently working on a kiosk app, on Mac OS X, using revBrowser, so I'm
doing soak testing with a gorilla that's hammering randomly on it.  Given
enough gorillas and time, I can crash it.  I want to find out where the crash
is happening so I can tell Rev.

In the days of yore, when Rev crashed, you could find all the gory details in
~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter.  But now when my Rev standalone crashes, no log.
This is a brand new machine, (intel Mac mini) running Leopard.

I've been running this for a week now, and at first I thought this might be
because I was running it under a managed user; but yesterday I set it going
under an admin user, and this morning it was crashed, there was a malloc error
in the console - but still no CrashReporter log.  There's a CrashReporter
folder there - with a report from my gorilla app, written badly by me in,
which I managed to crashed before it could crash anything else - but nothing
from my Rev standalone.

I also discovered something I'd not come across before in
/Library/Logs/HangReporter - which did have a report from a few days ago of a
hang of my Rev standalone - but the report doesn't look very useul.

Given that the Cocoa (gorilla) app produced a CrashReporter log, this
mechanism obviously hasn't gone altogether.  Does anyone know where the crash
reports for Rev-built standalones will go, or whether there's something I have
to do to the standalone to make sure that the OS produces one?

TIA,

- Ben