OS 10.5 character issue

Martin Baxter mb.userev at harbourhosting.co.uk
Tue Nov 4 04:08:17 EST 2008

Dan Friedman wrote:
> Mark,
>
> Thanks for the response.  Here's what I did (on 10.5):
>
> repeat with i = 1 to 256
>   put i &tab& numToChar(i) into line i of tempData
> end repeat
> put tempData into field 1 --set to my custom font
>
> The check came on line 195
> The ellipse came on line 201
>
> I then ran the SAME routine on a 10.4 Mac:
>
> The check came on line 201 AND 195!  The ellipsis character was not listed
> at all.  Which it shouldn't be - it's where our check is.

Dan,

In the Mac Roman character set, 201 is defined as ellipsis, 195 is the
square root symbol.

It sounds like the OS is substituting a glyph from a system font,
perhaps because it objects to some aspect of your custom font?

Does this happen in other applications as well?

Martin Baxter

--
I am Not a Number, I am a free NaN