AW: How to change the backgroundcolor of a combo Box button?

Richmond Mathewson geradamas at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 3 14:37:03 EST 2008

Frankly, the red drop-down menu of the Combo-Box looked foul!

I did try this out on a Mac (I work with Macintosh and Ubuntu Linux).

However, I would never use a fancified drop-down menu like that as it
would only serve to confuse and/or turn-off end-users:

http://www.useit.com/papers/heuristic/heuristic_list.html

and, if you really want to wade through some aspects of user-interface
design in Runtime Revolution you can download my MSc thesis on,largely,
that subject, and its practical implementation at:

I know that Apple have a set of 'Human Interface Guidelines', which
they seem quite good at breaking.

I would suppose that Microsoft go in for the same type of thing.

I would also suppose that the reason why one cannot implement a
fancy-coloured Combo BOx as per your search is because the good folk
at RR Central realised that as it ran counter to almost all useability
considerations it was hardly worth bothering about. Mind you, I don't
know,so why don't you ask them directly.

sincerely, Richmond Mathewson.

A Thorn in the flesh is better than a failed Systems Development Life Cycle.