rawKeyDown cooking my brain.

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sun Nov 2 17:15:59 EST 2008

Richmond Mathewson wrote:

> On my Macintosh, at least, this stack does not do its stuff when I press
> any of the modifier keys (Ctrl, Alt, Command).

The OS does not report to applications when only a modifier key is
pressed. (It's a little better on Windows for a few keys I think.) The
OS only sends a message after the accompanying alpha key is pressed.
This also applies to "commandkeydown" and other similar system messages,
they only trigger after the second key is pressed.

> [why no 'altKeyDown' and 'shiftKeyDown' ???]

The alt key is "optionKeydown", but again, you'll only get the message
after the second key is pressed. The OS doesn't send a message for shift
at all, because that key instead causes a different numeric parameter to
be sent.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com