rawKeyDown cooking my brain.

Richmond Mathewson geradamas at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 2 14:53:02 EST 2008

Was just mucking around with a stack called "KEY NAMER" which I uploaded to
revOnline a couple of years ago. It is a crude little stack that has this
script in its single card:

on rawkeydown KDWN
  put KDWN into fld "KNAME"
end rawkeydown

and, when you press a key down, surprise, surprise, you get a jolly numeric
output in field "KNAME": not rocket science, but useful nevertheless.

BUT . . .

On my Macintosh, at least, this stack does not do its stuff when I press
any of the modifier keys (Ctrl, Alt, Command).

Therefore when I, for instance, press Command-A, the numeric output is
exactly the same as pressing the A key by itself.

This is not good, as the likes of myself and Marcus Lindley might find it
useful to simulate Command/Ctrl-A, or other combinations which do not respond to rawKeyDown.

Now, I am aware there are:

controlKeyDown
commandKeyDown

messages

 and

shiftKey
altKey

functions

[why no 'altKeyDown' and 'shiftKeyDown' ???]

so, I suppose, one would have to trap both command/controlKey and rawKeyDown simultaneously to fake command/control-A . . .

Err, I think I have just answered my own question; what a monkey!

sincerely, Richmond Mathewson.

A Thorn in the flesh is better than a failed Systems Development Life Cycle.