Rev CGI - transfer from http to https

Andre Garzia andre at andregarzia.com
Sat Nov 1 12:45:27 EDT 2008

Richard,

Post to your cgi using HTTPS. In your first form change the action of
the form to a fully qualified url using HTTPS, then the answer from
the cgi will be encrypted. Be aware that to use HTTP without raising a
"possible danger" flag in the browser you need a blessed
certification, you may need to buy one if your host does not provide
you one.

Other way is to use a session mechanism and answer the cgi with a
simple html with a meta refresh header and then redirect to a secure
page. This has the same limitations as the approach above and is
harder to maintain, so I advise using the approach above before trying
the meta redirect. I am just telling you this second solution because
it is the only way a CGI response can change folders. For example your
cgi is coming from www.mydomain.com but your secure stuff is on
secure.mydomain.com, then a cgi running on the first domain, will only
be able to redirect to the second if it uses a Http Header redirect or
a Meta Refresh and sessions...

cheers
Andre