Economy and Image Formats . . .

Richmond Mathewson geradamas at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 1 09:14:44 EDT 2008

Just being working on one of my graphics intensive programs for my
language school. Unlike most of my programs this one requires one,
extremely 'fat' graphic (1.6 MB) to be repeated over a large number of
cards; and, frankly 25 times 1.6 MB means that the standalone will eat my
P3 - Ubuntu boxes for lunch.

So:

Imported the graphic on card 1 and used it as the icon for a graphic-sized
button on all the other cards.

Have been doing this for quite some time with all those silly, little,
repetitive things such as colourful nav-btns.

Yeah, I know I am reinventing the wheel, but it bears reiterating.

While I am on this topic:

sometime ago a venerable member of the MetaCard/Revolution community
convinced me that PNG images "were the thing" rather than GIFs:

Now, may be this is a quirk of GIMP (Yes, I have a bee in my bonnet insofar as I am not a wealthy person AND I don't think using Pirate software is a good idea - so favour Open Source software; not for everyone, but definitely for me; and will always push newbies towards it unless they are dripping with surplus cash [err, who is?]), but even with compression set to maximum with PNGs, the PNGs are at least twice the bloat of GIFs. This doesn't really matter on machines like my G4 dual-proc with 2 GB RAM; but on cranky old PCs it makes a big difference.

I have never had a problem with GIF images on Ubuntu, and so really don't see why using PNG format would be a tremendous advantage.

sincerely, Richmond Mathewson

A Thorn in the flesh is better than a failed Systems Development Life Cycle.