How to compress files on the fly

Josh Mellicker josh at dvcreators.net
Fri May 30 16:42:31 EDT 2008

On Nov 22, 2006, at 9:21 AM, Stephen Barncard wrote:

> Hi gang,
>
> I'm messing around with the compress() function.
> My goal is to compress an .app package then upload it to an ftp
> server.
> Right now the below code works on small files but seems to choke on
> a 300mb file.
>
> I have a few questions:
> 1. in order to compress a MacOSX 'package',do I have to devise a
> 'walker' to identify and compress each file separately inside? yikes.

We just ran into this same problem, and here's how we solved it:

Compress the app and upload to your server

Have Rev download the zipped app as you would any file

then:

     set the defaultFolder to whereYouWantYourApp
     put "unzip" && yourZippedAppPathAndFile into tCmd
     get shell(tCmd)

This works great on OS X, have not tested elsewhere.

NOTE: Because compressing with the OS X function puts some weird stuff
in the archive as well as your app, it's best to unzip to a temp
folder, then move your app where you want it.