good Rev demos

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Wed May 28 22:34:55 EDT 2008

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 4:47 AM, william humphrey <shoreagent at gmail.com>
wrote:

Saw your 'restrained' rant over on the Valentina site and just wish to pass
on my sympathy:-(

I too occasionally open up Valentina and just stumble too much, generally I
just don't have the time so it's quick and dirty for me - Rev + SQL (lite or
My) perfect. So I really hope someone like you will find the "aaaahhhaaa -
that's how you do it" and then will write a very newbie orientated 'how to
guide'

2. A field that comes up with a description of the file when you mouse over
> it (I am so sick of trying stacks when I don't understand the cryptic name
> especially those stacks that bring down my copy of RunRev). And what is the
> difference between "view" and "go to"?

Although not as simple as you correctly suggest, if you go to 'View' you
will be provided with a short description of what the stack does, so
hopefully shed some light on the cryptic name and help decide whether to
download or not. 'Go to' just takes you to the download prompt.

What would also be nice is if once on the 'Vew' page you could use the
'Next' button (currently disabled) to proceed to the next stack in the list
rather than the current must backtrack to main page.

> 3. A way to include all the files necessary for the stacks.

Well I've read over and over on this List that one of the "GREAT" things
about custom properties is that you can store "ANYTHING" in them, even other
stacks. So I take that to mean that you can store a DB file. Now to make
life easy I assume setting up Valentina to produce a single file rather the
some of the multi-file options would be the way to go - for a simple example
DB. I've never done it so maybe an expert (Trevor?) may wish to comment on
the practicalities. I assume you'd need to write the myDBCustomProp to a
real file, then use it, and when finished, read it and 'set the
myDBCustomProp'.

> 4. Some more categories like maybe "database examples" but of course you
> can't have those because there is no way to include the database with the
> stack.

Yes please.

In the mean time, seems very nice of Sarah to offer you some webspace so I
wait with fingers crossed that you may achieve that aaaahhhaa moment and
look forward to your 'Newbie Guide to Rev + Val + example Stacks'. Oh and
did I mention I wanted OSX examples ;-)