Is RunRev marketed to developers mainly?

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Wed May 28 17:38:34 EDT 2008

Recently, william humphrey wrote:

> I just wrote a fairly long rant about the USER space on RunRev

Fully agreed.  I think everybody knows RevOnline is long overdue for an
overhaul.  My guess is, it's a resources issue -- RunRev needs guys to work
on bug fixes, new features, and other related stuff, so RevOnline takes a
back seat.

> How do you think the market for RunRev is defined? Is it 95%
> developers and 5% hobbyists?

I don't know about the market as a whole, but the recently held developer's
conference was something of a surprise in terms of users' experience.  The
preconference programming day was originally going to be very rudimentary,
but surveys discovered that users were more experienced with
Revolution/Hypercard/development than was expected.  Obviously attendees of
the conference make up a very small percentage of actual users, but there
may be a trend of increased user experience indicated there.

> Since my only experience in programming is with hypercard (and most
> programmers say that isn't programming) and with web stuff like PHP
> JAVAscript which has thousands of carefully indexed examples that you can
> just snip and paste into your projects then I am really not the one to
> answer this question.

Aside from the World Wide Web Consortium, I would say the "carefully
indexed" examples you mention are often created by 3rd parties.  FWIW, in
almost all the non-Rev projects I do, I wind up having to scour the Web for
hours through these aforementioned indexes to find samples of code, and even
then, samples that work in my particular situation.  I've found no one-stop
cure-all Javascript resource, no single Flash ActionScript archive that
covers it all (not even Adobe), and I would say the same applies to
Revolution.  3rd parties are key.

If you haven't seen it already, there is a Revolution Search Engine option
in Rev's Help menu that contains links to 20 or so 3rd party reference
sites.  Perhaps this could be an additional help resource for you.  Of
course, there's always this list which has some of the most helpful folks on
the 'net.

But the bottom line is, yes, RevOnline is nowhere near what it needs to be.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, Multimedia & Design