Undos [was: Script Editor]

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Wed May 21 16:24:08 EDT 2008

--- Richmond Mathewson <geradamas at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I wonder how one would implement unlimited undos in
> Runtime Revolution?
>
> Presumably everytime therewas a keyDown inside the
> scriptEditor a new field would have to be created to
> hold it - and very quickly the whole thing would
> grind
> to a halt ? ? ?
>
> Or, very keyDown would write to a new text file
> which
> could then be reloaded into the scriptEditor field ?
> ?
> ?
>
> I hope somebody out there knows more than I do about
> this !
>
> sincerely, Richmond Mathewson

You could use 'snapshots' of the text and save those
in custom properties or even an array variable.
There's no need to capture every single keystroke as
the time for a new snapshot - use some 'strategic'
characters as triggers: space, backspace, return - or
employ a sort of timed interval scheme where you store
it if the user hasn't done anything for a second.

I wouldn't like to have to press Command-Z twenty
times to get rid of the last long word that I typed,
one character at a time. Word processor behaviour is
probably the best approach to mimic, as it would feel
natural to users.

Given that you have 'the selectedChunk' as a property,
you could limit what you store to the line(s) involved
in the change, cutting down memory consumption even
more.

Jan Schenkel.

Quartam Reports & PDF Library for Revolution
<http://www.quartam.com>

=====