Rev and the Web

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Wed May 21 16:08:40 EDT 2008

--- Luis <luis at anachreon.co.uk> wrote:
> A plugin, for some, would be seen as less of an
> 'installation', and
> with the Vista security tightened, I suppose the
> browser plugin is
> the 'least harmful'.
> I still prefer web-borne stacks tho.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Luis.
>

>From what was demoed at the conference, we know it
will have a good security model (though any security
model is only as good as the user pressing 'Allow'
after thinking it through) and will allow multiple
stacks on the same page to interact with one another.

My comment at the end of the keynote was simply:
"Thank you for letting me develop applications for the
web without having to learn AJAX" - and that's what
this plug-in offers us as developers: an elegant
programming language in an elegant development
paradigm that has expanded from the desktop into a
much larger ecosystem.

Forget having to get used to Flash or having to dive
into JavaFX if you want to deploy rich internet apps.
We've often mused about how great it would have been
if Apple had finished HyperCard 3.0 and pushed it onto
the web as QuickTime Interactive - well, Revolution is
giving us that chance, with loads more power than
HyperCard ever had.

Once this announcement comes to fruition, we can tell
all those people who were shunning Rev because it
couldn't do web apps without a lot of hard work, that
we have at our disposal a full technology stack with
which we can build apps for the desktop _and_ the web
from a single source, and much faster than using Flash
or Java or Silverlight.

While part of me might agree with Richard Gaskin that
this is a huge competitive advantage for us as
seasoned Rev developers, the rest of me screams this
is the sort of technology that we shouldn't keep to
ourselves - everyone should get a chance to taste this
Revolution.

Fans of my favourite band, The Cure, will sure
recognise the lyrics of their brand new single "The
Only One":
... Yeah it gets better everyday, I say
With you it's so real
It gets better everyday, I say
With you it's such a dream...

And that sums up how I feel about Revolution and its
future.
Spread the word!

Jan Schenkel.

Quartam Reports & PDF Library for Revolution
<http://www.quartam.com>

=====