Simple Database without SQL

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue May 20 11:19:22 EDT 2008

Chris Young wrote:
> I would like to have a simple app that I can share
> with my coworkers without the need to also share a
> second file.

That rules out a database, where in addition to at least one data file
(possibly multiple files, depending on the DB engine used) you'd also
need to make sure the externals files to drive the DB are included.

> So far I have not found a way to save info once the
> stack has been compiled.
>
> Any ideas?  or examples?

It's a long standing convention of both UNIX/Linux and Win OSes that
executables cannot write to themselves, and for consistency Rev enforces
this on the Mac as well.

So any writable data will mean at least a second file, and I know of now
way around that.

But fortunately Sarah Reichelt has made this easy with her article at
revJournal on saving data from standalones:

<http://www.revjournal.com/tutorials/saving_data_in_revolution.html>

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal