Passing variables between Flash and Rev

Troy Rollins troy_lists at rpsystems.net
Mon May 19 12:10:01 EDT 2008

On May 19, 2008, at 3:48 AM, Henk van der Velden wrote:

> 1. So I can have a Flash file played through revBrowser in a Rev
> application, and have that Flash file communicate with the very same
> Rev application through a local socket connection?

Right.

> 2. A local socket, is that something like "127.0.0.0: port number"?

Correct again.

> 3. Does this approach require a specific setup of the computer?

No. Though I can't say whether or not highly restrictive local
firewalls, or anti-virus software may cause conflict, though I've done
this process on my systems, and it has worked fine.

> 4. Does this approach work in case of a proxy server being used on
> the local network?

I don't see why that should matter, since you aren't actually even
actually leaving the local system, and the IP is strictly local to the
machine.

> 5. And the last one, although it is Flash related it might be of
> interest to some more Rev developers: I need to use XMLSocket()?

Sure, but the name is misleading, it is actually just a standard text
connection.

In the end, it works like this... you have Rev start listening for a
socket connection, you have Flash connect to it, and you start
communicating back and forth.

--
Troy
RPSystems, Ltd.