Passing variables between Flash and Rev

Dave Cragg dave.cragg at lacscentre.co.uk
Mon May 19 08:06:47 EDT 2008

On 19 May 2008, at 08:48, Henk van der Velden wrote:

> I'm new to the socket stuff. Can I ask a few questions about it?
>
> 1. So I can have a Flash file played through revBrowser in a Rev
> application, and have that Flash file communicate with the very same
> Rev application through a local socket connection?

Interesting idea. But I think you'll have to overcome Flash's security
restrictions. If the Flash file is loaded from the web, by default it
can't connect to any other domain, including the local domain.
However, there is a way to get round this by using a cross-domain
policy file. I've never tried this for XMLSocket(), but according to
the docs it's doable. However, it's not clear whether that can be used
for connections to localhost instead of other domains on the internet.
Worth trying. There's some information here about implementing a
socket policy file.

http://livedocs.adobe.com/flex/2/docs/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/wwhelp.htm?context=LiveDocs_Parts&file=00001952.html

> 2. A local socket, is that something like "127.0.0.0: port number"?

I think "localhost:portnum" will work.

Please let us know if you have any success.

Cheers
Dave