RevCon kudos

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri May 16 12:21:52 EDT 2008

I hope the readers here don't mind my taking a little slice of bandwidth
to thank those involved in making this year's RevCon a great one:

Jo did a remarkable job in managing the conference, truly Cloe-quality
(Cloe Mifsud worked with Sims on the two Euro RevCons, and IMNSHO is the
index of smooth event management).  That Jo was able to be so efficient
with everything and still maintain a charming and relaxed demeanor was
remarkable and helpful.

Lynn's choice of the venue was originally a concern for me, not being a
fan of Vegas.  But the Alexis resort is as he promised not at all like
the rest of the town: clean, spacious, quiet, without a slot machine in
sight and with three (count 'em three!) pools.  All for very affordable
rates.  Good job, Lynn.

Meeting Bill Marriot in person was a special treat, and his assistance
with getting the word out about the conference helped bring it the
strongest attendance yet.

I also very much enjoyed meeting Ben and John from RunRev, both talented
and bright young men whose contributions to the company are as
impressive as they are enjoyable to talk with.

Judging from the buzz around the conference, kudos are also due to all
the presenters, esp. Jerry who managed to handle four sessions.  Folks
seemed to get a lot from the sessions, and that's ultimately what it's
all about.

Kevin and Mark did the best job ever in delivering the NDA presentation
in which they outlined future directions for the technology.  Of course
I can't share specifics here, but I can say that it was the most
relevant and confidence-building NDA session yet.

A debt of gratitude is also due to Chipp Walters and Dan Shafer, who did
such a good job for so many years establishing the tradition of the west
coast event.  I doubt this RevCon could have been as good as it was
without you two having set the tone and raised the bar each year as you did.

And of course the biggest thanks goes to all the attendees who took time
out of their busy schedules to come.  We had an unusually high number of
folks from Europe this time, and I hope the long travel was as
worthwhile for you folks as it was great to have you there.

On a personal note, it was the other attendees who really made this
conference special for me.  I had some very enriching conversations with
Bjoernke von Gierke, Robert Cailliau, Tereza Snyder, Sandy Beadle, Dave
Simpson, and many others, and perhaps most of all Jim Hurley, who showed
me how rainbows work.  These conversations were the sort of thing that
just can't happen over email, and reminded me why conferences like this
are so much fun.

And for those who went on the campout Sunday night, many thanks for
making that a special way to cap the weekend.  It was a great treat to
discover the king snake, and to introduce Tariel to his first kangaroo
rat.  Special thanks to Max Shafer for managing the gear rental from
REI.  And my oh my what a feast Ken and Phil whipped up!  I'm definitely
up for doing that again next year.  Andre and I have already started
making plans.

And Jim Ault, thanks for being such a valuable one-man welcome wagon for
Las Vegas, with your many helpful tips for getting around town.  It was
great to share a walk with you, Phil, and Andre Monday morning at the
Red Spring petroglyph site.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation