CGI Setup

Nicolas Cueto niconiko at gmail.com
Thu May 15 18:01:26 EDT 2008

> Do I need to download the Linux version of RunRev,
>  ( does it matter what version? )  and how do I put in
> my
> registration info?

The engines can be downloaded from Rev's ftp site:

ftp://ftp.runrev.com/pub/revolution/downloads/engines/

For linux, there seems to be only one version.

As for your registration info, it is not required for running
the RunRev engine with cgi scripts.

> Do I Have to have some type of
> special
> access to the server

I don't understand "special access" but...

Setting up Rev for cgi can be difficult -- Jacque's guide
is very useful -- but not because of Rev. Usually the
problem is either with one's own lack of experience
(eg, setting permissions) or, worse yet, the webhost
company. Myself, I had to switch webhost companies
when a RunRev-cgi setup I had had working perfectly for
years suddenly stopped when the webhost company did
"something" at their end. A tech-member of the company
and I exchanged emails for a while to try to resolve it,
but no go. So, I switched companies.

In other words, part of your learning curve for Rev+CGI
might be beyond your control. So, keep that in mind
when things don't seem to be working as easily as
they apparently ought to.

However, once you do get it working, Rev itself makes it
ofcourse quite simple.

Good luck.

--
Nicolas Cueto