LiveResizing (was Re: "movestack" sent continuously!)

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Thu May 15 16:47:42 EDT 2008

>  Actually there's a similar situation with resizeStack - in the earlier days
>  of Rev/MetaCard, resizeStack was sent continuously on Windows/Linux, but not
>  on Mac. Now, in order to get continual resizeStack messages on OS X, you
>  need to set the "liveResizing" of the stack to true.
>
>  Along these lines, I think it might be good to have liveResizing default to
>  "true" for new stacks instead of "false" - otherwise it makes resizing look
>  "old" on OS X. In fact the IDE itself doesn't even default to
>  liveResizing=true. This hasn't been filed as a bug report AFAIK.

I agree that the IDE should have live-resizing, but not that
live-resizing should be on by default. I always roll my own resizing
handlers as I don't trust the Geometry manager. When testing, it is
much better to have live-resizing off, so if I have made a mistake,
there is only one resizeStack message sent, not hundreds. Once I know
I have it right, then I turn on live-resizing.

I guess my preferred option would be to have the standalone builder
turn on live-resizing for every resizable stack.

Sarah