Passing variables between Flash and Rev

Jim Ault JimAultWins at yahoo.com
Wed May 14 11:37:59 EDT 2008

On 5/14/08 5:39 AM, "Henk van der Velden" <henk at iglow-media.nl> wrote:

> Good day all,
>
> picking up an old discussion about Flash variables and Rev:
>
> One of our apps has a Flash movie played through a player object.
> Flash variables are read and set through Trevor's QTExternal.
> However the latest releases of QuickTime player don't support Flash
> playback anymore, so we have to look for another solution.
>
> So my question is how can I read and write Flash variables from
> within a Rev application?
>
> The application is used on school networks. Children use the Flash
> movie to create characters and save them by saving a couple of
> variables. I used to save these variables in an XML file using
> QTExternal.
Flash versions have different capabilities.
Early versions (MX  MX2004) could read files, send and receive packets from
servers, and listen for packets from servers (variable strings or XML
format) using GET or POST methods.

You should be able to save the XML file using any app, including Rev, as
long as the permissions are correct.  The Flash movie should be able to read
that file.

HTH

Jim Ault
Las Vegas