slow load URL

Eric Chatonet eric.chatonet at sosmartsoftware.com
Wed May 14 08:02:08 EDT 2008

Bonjour Nicolas,

Le 14 mai 08 à 13:44, Nicolas Cueto a écrit :

> Thank you, Eric and Ian.
>
> If it's ok, I've another related question.
>
> Recently, my web-host's file-server has been acting
> erraticly, including temporary down times. Unfortunately,
> the problem struck right in the middle of one of my school
> classes. This resulted in some stacks being able to download
> file-urls while others couldn't just because they happened to
> log on at a different point n time.
>
> My question then is how, when a status message is "error",
> to keep calling an url until it finally gets thru?
>
> Sorry for being vague.
>
> -- Nicolas Cueto

If you get "error" or "timeout", it means in both cases that loading
the url failed.
In such a case, you can retry the whole process a second time.
Pseudo code:
if urlStatus = "error" or urlStatus = "timeout" then answer error
"Downloading url failed:" with "Cancel" or "Retry"
if it is "Retry" then...
Or in an automated way you'll not display any dialog but you'll retry
directly.
Don't forget to set a counter in a script local var for instance to
not retry hundreds of times but only two or three times ;-)

Best regards from Paris,
Eric Chatonet.