Basic sorting problem

David Bovill david at openpartnership.net
Wed May 7 06:47:59 EDT 2008

If I am not doing something wrong I think this is a bug - if so it would be
good to confirm on other platforms as it is pretty basic. I am trying to
sort lines by the number of words in each line. I can do it with the nuber
of chars but not the number of words or tokens. Here are the test scripts:

on test_CharSort
>     put object_GetNames() into objectNames
>
>     -- this is sorting fine!
>     sort objectNames by the number of chars of each
>
>     repeat for each line someLine in objectNames
>         put the number of chars of someLine & tab & someLine & CR after
> someResult
>     end repeat
>     put someResult
> end test_CharSort
>
> on test_WordSort
>     put object_GetNames() into objectNames
>
>     -- why is this not sorting?
>     sort objectNames by the number of words of each
>
>     repeat for each line someLine in objectNames
>         put the number of words of someLine & tab & someLine & CR after
> someResult
>     end repeat
>     put someResult
> end test_WordSort
>
> on test_TokenSort
>     put object_GetNames() into objectNames
>
>     -- why is this not sorting?
>     sort objectNames by the number of tokens of each
>
>     repeat for each line someLine in objectNames
>         put the number of tokens of someLine & tab & someLine & CR after
> someResult
>     end repeat
>     put someResult
> end test_TokenSort
>
> function object_GetNames
>     repeat with controlNum = 1 to the number of controls
>         put the long name of control controlNum into longName
>         put longName & CR after objectNames
>     end repeat
>     delete char -1 of objectNames
>   return objectNames
> end object_GetNames

A fix now is to sort using a function - now if only I could remember the
syntax for that....