Script references to moving files?

David Bovill david at openpartnership.net
Sun May 4 17:29:07 EDT 2008

Strange question - not sure how to express it otherwise. It's a common
enough thing to need though. Your scripts want a reference to an external
file, but the user may have moved it in the file system - so you have to
relink the file / update your data....

Now this is what an alias / shortcut does - or at least certain types of
alias / shortcut. So its possible I guess.

Now how can Rev scripts do this? My first thought is to create a alias of
the files, put them into a folder somewhere and associate these aliases with
the metadata. Your script knows where the alias is (its fixed) and can at
least on Macs figure out (using AppleScript) where the file is.... should
work a lot of the time (not if file is copied) - no? How about on Windows?