Launching a web page

Shari shari at gypsyware.com
Thu May 1 12:41:40 EDT 2008

This is crazy.  My code for launching a web page worked happily for
many years up until ???  Now it's broken and I can't seem to fix it.

"launch url someUrl" does not work.

I cannot use any command that starts with "rev..." so all of those are out.

Does anyone have a working handler to go to a website, launching the
user's browser, on Windows?  That does not involve "launch url" or
"rev...Something"?

I'm about to lose my marbles trying to figure this one out.  The
system I'm testing this on is Windows NT, systemVersion NT 5.1, no
idea what's happening on other Windows systems.

The following all fail:

  1.  set the shellCommand to "cmd.exe"
       put quote & quote into theTitle
       get shell("start" && theTitle && quote & tURL & quote)

2.   local intApp
       local EXE_off
       put
queryRegistry("hkey_local_machine\software\classes\http\shell\open\command\")
into intApp
       if char 1 of intApp is quote then delete char 1 of intApp  #
strip leading quote
       put offset("EXE",intApp) into EXE_off
       put char 1 to (EXE_off+2) of intApp into intApp
       launch tURL with intApp

3.    put word 1 to -2 of \

queryRegistry("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\http\shell\open\command\")
\
            into tBrowserPath
         launch (tBrowserPath && tURL)

4.    launch url tUrl

I can go to a web page outside of Rev, and surf the internet fine.
So it's not an issue with the internet or the browser itself.  The
website exists.  But all attempts to get to it from within Rev fail.

Shari
--
   Humorous sports t-shirts
   http://www.villagetshirts.com