2.9 - Pasting from Excel

Jim Ault JimAultWins at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 29 15:21:23 EDT 2008

I am a little confused about the original poster's situation.

On 3/29/08 11:23 AM, "Bill Marriott" <wjm at wjm.org> wrote:

> Bryan,
>
> Please file this as a report in RQCC. Clipboard processing was redone for
> 2.9, and this would have been an ideal time to address this. Unfortunately,
> I highly doubt there will be time to do anything about it before release,
> but you never know.
>
>> This is likely to seem ridiculously simple. I use Excel a lot during the
>> course of the day. Sometimes I need to cut and paste data from multiple
>> rows and columns on an ad hoc basis and take it into Rev.
>>
>> In prior versions of Rev the result was text not separated by tabs as you
>> would expect and as you get if you paste into Notepad for example.
>>
>> In fact for years that has been my workaround. Copy from Excel, paste into
>> Notepad, then paste into Rev.
>>
>> I had thought 2.9 might preserve the tabs but it does not. Am I missing
>> something or is this the standard (and expected, and thus S.O.L) behavior?
>>
>> Is there anything anyone can think of that could make this otherwise
>> simple task, well, simple?

You need to be a bit more specific, since there are issues with Excel and
other programs converting clipboard data.  Remember that within Excel you
can copy and paste text, formulas, images, charts, and many other objects
that cannot be translated to other programs.

Excel has an internal clipboard, and the answer may be to copy, paste values
into a blank/new worksheet, then copy that result so that the clipboard
format is as consistent with text only as possible (no formulas, conditional
formatting, etc) and then see if tabs are removed.

Also in Rev you do a quick test for its version of the clipboarddata by
using the message box:

step 1 is to copy a section of a spread sheet, then switch to Rev

step 2

put offset(tab, the clipboarddata)
which should give the number of the first tab.

Hope this helps

Jim Ault
Las Vegas