ODBC access

Harry pub at humantech.biz
Sun Mar 23 21:36:25 EDT 2008

Sarah Reichelt <sarah.reichelt at ...> writes:

> On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 6:10 PM, Harry <pub at ...> wrote:
> > I would like to use ODBC but cannot figure out how connect to the database
> >  or how to extract records. This is the code I'm attempting;
> >
> >  put revOpenDatabase("ODBC","",testdb,"","") into myDB
> >  revQueryDatabase(myDB,"SELECT * FROM Item","tItemList")
> >  put tItemList into field "Item List"
>
> Hi Harry,
>
> I have bever used ODBC so I can't comment on your database open script
> or the permission problems.
>
> However, the 2nd line above is incorrect. Try this:
>    put revQueryDatabase(myDB,"SELECT * FROM Item") into tItemList
>
> As revQueryDatabase is a function, you must tell it where to put the
> result. Otherwise, Rev thinks it is a handler, which gives you the
> "can't find handler" error.
>
> Cheers,
> Sarah

Thanks Sarah that was a useful tip. Seems there are many errors and typo's in
the Revolution documentation. After much (unnecessary!) experimentation I've
arrived at code that does the job. No doubt less that optimal so I'm not
thinking kind thoughts about the documentation.

For future reference here is ODBC code that works;

on mouseUp
 put revOpenDatabase("ODBC","testdb",,,) into myDB
 put revQueryDatabase(myDB,"SELECT * FROM Item") into tRecordSetId
 repeat until revCurrentRecordIsLast(tRecordSetId)
   put revDatabaseColumnNamed(tRecordSetId,"Item Id") into tItemId
   if the result contains "revdberr" then exit repeat
   put revDatabaseColumnNamed(tRecordSetId,"Item Title") into tItemTitle
   if the result contains "revdberr" then exit repeat
   put tItemId & tab & tItemTitle & return after tItemList
   revMoveToNextRecord tRecordSetId
   if the result contains "revdberr" then exit repeat
 end repeat
 put tItemList into field "Item List"
end mouseUp

--Harry