burned by shell yet again

Björnke von Gierke bvg at mac.com
Sun Mar 23 10:10:40 EDT 2008

Hi

On linux with the latest rc of 2.9, I am trying to get an url
asynchronous into a file, as to not reduce interactivity of my rev
stack. However I am unable to find a solution, without running a
second rev program, because shell behaves so strangely different in
Rev then in the terminal. My problem is that Rev always waits for
wget, no matter how I try to trick it. All my trials and successful
running tests in terminal didn't help me.

The script I use is this (I used a wrong url because that results in
longer wait times for wget):

wget -q -P/path/to/folder http://url.written.wrongly.on.purpouse.by.bjoernke.com
  &

-q no live logging to the terminal
-P custom path to save file under
& run command without waiting, return null immediately

In terminal I noticed that the program does terminate immediately, but
sometimes output stuff, of which I know that Rev has problems with. I
presume these where information about the subtask spawned by "&".
Example:
[1] 24800

So i put the string into a file, which i then called:

bash downloadfile

this did return immediately in the terminal, and didn't return
anything. Unfortunately, Rev still doesn't return control immediately.

I hate shell commands :(
Bjoernke

--

official ChatRev page: