On-line error parsing tool

Mark Schonewille m.schonewille at economy-x-talk.com
Sat Mar 22 06:02:56 EDT 2008

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the kind words and the explanations :-) To me, it looks
like the engine makes a list of errors that could have happened. If
the error had occurred at an earlier stage in the script, the list
would have been shorter. If x in your example had been a function, the
list would have been longer. I find this useful, because it tells me
the path I need to follow to get to the object and script that caused
the error, which sometimes helps me understand a script and the cause
of the error.

If the handler DoX actually had not existed, the list of errors would
have ended at your line 5. Since it exists, line 4 tells you which
object contains the handler and you already explained the lines before
that one.

You might consider the errors an extended form of the executionContexts.

Best regards,

Mark Schonewille

P.S. I just hope I'm right on this, since it isn't documented AFAIK.

http://economy-x-talk.com
http://www.salery.biz

A large collection of scripts for HyperCard, Revolution, SuperCard and
other programming languages can be found at http://runrev.info

On 21 mrt 2008, at 16:23, Richard Gaskin wrote:

<snip>

> If anyone know why the engine generates that line immediately
> following the one with the error object, and can find it useful, I'd
> love to learn.

<snip>