more message box

Eric Chatonet eric.chatonet at sosmartsoftware.com
Wed Mar 19 17:28:02 EDT 2008

Hello Jacque and JB,

Le 19 mars 08 à 22:01, J. Landman Gay a écrit :
> -= JB =- wrote:
>> I am still pretty new to Rev so I did not know what to
>> expect.  I am sure it is somewhere in the docs but I
>> don't always catch it the first time I read it.  I wasn't
>> aware of using the arrowkey for a history of last
>> messages in the msg box.  Thanks for the info!
>> So should this be reported as a bug or should we
>> consider it the standard way Rev should operate?
>
> Good question. It's either a bug or a feature. The arrow-key
> behavior has been there from the very beginning (very handy) but
> the initial blank message box was the usual behavior till now.
>
> I don't know if the change in 2.9 was intended or not. If you feel
> like pursuing it, I'd enter it as a minor bug and see if the team
> agrees.
>
> --

Probably, I'm an addict as Jacque: on my three computers (one Mac and
two Win), Rev is very often open since days or weeks ;-)
I have just tested using the last 2.9 RC1 message box's behavior:
It is not clear: I got the last message (or last two ones separated
by a quote) at opening.
So it could be a feature if I had got the last message sent in the
msg (even if it does not seem to have been the case with previous
versions) but actually I would be inclined to think it's now a bug...
Probably without importance: just annoying.

I take the opportunity to remind all that you can find a plugin on my
website named 'Message Box Picker': it's at the bottom of my plugins
page because it's the first one I released some years ago (but still
works :-)
This utility reorganizes the message history and puts the messages
into chronological order, deletes any duplicate and installs in the
message box a drop-down menu that can be completely personalized and
that makes it possible to bring up or to send a message with one
mouse click.
Bilingual utility (installer and uninstaller.) Help stack is included.
Identical appearance on all platforms.

After having written so many plugins it's one I use every day to call
back any message and execute it directly.

Best regards from Paris,
Eric Chatonet.