How to Use Table Fields?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Mar 19 14:19:04 EDT 2008

Dave wrote:

> Thanks for this. I can't seem to get it work as documented. I have
> columns as so:
>
> column1<tab> column2<tab> column3
>
> I set the Width of the field to 600, tabStops to 200, vgrid and hgrid
> to true.
>
> This displays 3 columns as expected, however, the middle column's
> data exceeds the width of the column, but instead of truncating as
> documented, it overflows into the third column. From the online help:
>
> Any text in a column is truncated when it reaches the right edge of
> the column. To show the entire contents of the column, drag over the
> text to select it. If text at the end of a line does not have a tab
> following it--that is, if it's the last column in the field--it is
> not truncated.

I believe that's consistent with Excel.

You can either set the last tabstop to a high number like 9999 to move
the column line out of the way, or put " " into each item of a new last
column to get the truncation.

Not sure what's happening with your middle column; here I get the
columns truncated when as soon as I set the hGrid and vGrid properties.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation