Learn Programming in 1 Day

Richmond Mathewson geradamas at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 14 13:43:05 EDT 2008

Heather Nagey wrote:

"If you go home again without having learned anything

new I will personally refund your ticket**."

To which:

1. What a jolly nice offer.

2. I am absolutely sure I would learn lots of new
things.

3. 'Learning lots of new things' does not constitute
Learning Programming in 1 Day.

To suggest that one can Learn Programming (and by
'Programming' I understand quite a comprehensive
understanding) in 1 day is disingenuous and,
potentially, rather misleading. It reminds me of my
younger son's "IT" lessons at school: how to boot up
WinXP, how to shutdown WinXP, how to send an e-mail,
how to type a letter on MSOffice, save it and open it
again. Luckily the average 12 year-old in Bulgaria is
about a light-year ahead of the Minister for Education
so is not badly misled.

My knowledge of programming (which I would
characterise as "Intermediate" at best) is based on
lessons and experience with programming in a variety
of programming languages across 12 different types of
computers and a lot of operating systems (remember MOS
?). Anything I would learn at your conference would be
information that I could pile on top of 33 years of
previous knowledge; unless of course you are intending
to explain the details of subroutines.

Unfortunately, or fortunately (which depends if you
want a six-foot-something red-head in a kilt with an
aggressive attitude to boot) I cannot afford an
air-ticket to anywhere just at the moment.

I, also, don't drink cocktails.

--------
Now, on a point that is much more serious; could some
people have a look at my TEXTIFIER stack, Please.
--------

sincerely, Richmond Mathewson

A Thorn in the flesh is better than a failed Systems Development Life Cycle.