Learn Programming in 1 Day

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Mar 14 13:21:53 EDT 2008

jbv wrote:

> Richard Gaskin a *crit :
>

>> But my first experience with an xTalk (after deciding computers were
>> boring back in high school from having learned BASIC on a Wang) was the
>> exhilarating feeling that comes with making a button and scripting simply:
>>
>>    on mouseUp
>>      go next
>>    end mouseUp
>>
>> In that instant I was hooked!
>
> so why not say "Get hooked in 1 day" ?    ;-)

Because it conjures images of meth addicts from Barstow. :)

> Seriously, I guess you already know from my contrbutions to this list during
> the past few years that, although I've used different prog. languages, xTalk
> remains my favorite.
> But I'm afraid that claims such as "learn programming in 1 day" will keep
> most serious programmers away from Rev for a long time, as they'll keep
> seeing it as a funny toy for beginners...

Maybe, but I'd argue that the biggest hurdle for learning Rev as a
second language has more to do with the things we love about it, all the
unique differences which I feel give Rev a productivity advantage but
which are absolutely mind-bending for developers experienced with other
systems.

At the heart of this is pondering what the definition of "is" is, or
more specifically, what "programming" is.

If they'd said "Master programming in a day!", I'd be right there with you.

But to be able to write a simple program in a day is fully achievable
for beginners, and in my own view constitutes "programming".

Meeting you halfway, perhaps future marketing might use "Learn the
basics of programming in a day".  That should satisfy just about
everyone, while still remaining attractive to those for whom it's intended.

> ...but "code as you think" is better IMHO...

I dunno.  Some folks think in pretty strange ways. ;)

In fact, I don't know that I even think in terms of how the engine
thinks.  For example, when my gal asks me where I left the car keys,
I've never said, "get the keys of car of drawer topleft of cabinet
counter of room kitchen of this house".

I agree that one of Rev's main benefits is that it's
extremely-high-level language and object model allows us to spend more
time thinking in terms of UI rather than API.  But I've not yet come
across a tagline which expresses that well.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal