A chunking mystery

Brian Yennie briany at qldlearning.com
Fri Mar 14 06:01:16 EDT 2008

If the "repeat for" error in your email isn't the actual problem
(often we type things wrongly into email as an example, or strip too
much out), then:

I would hazard a guess here that your problem lies in the assumption
that CSV files can be parsed simply by addressing lines and items.
Unfortunately, this is not the case -- as CSV columns themselves can
contain commas and even escaped quotes inside of quotes. To confound
things, all CSV files are not created equal in terms of conventions
used.

Consider (for starters) what happens if you have embedded commas in a
line like this:

"Los Angeles, CA",0,1

Column 3 in your CSV file is "1"
Item 3 is "0"