Web Robots in Revolution

Mark Schonewille m.schonewille at economy-x-talk.com
Thu Mar 13 09:54:45 EDT 2008

Gregory,

This should be simple, though time consuming. If you don't know from
which domains you want to download news, theres's no need to customize
for individual sites. Just get the links from a search engine and
parse the list.

Then download the sites and determine where the body text starts and
finishes or simply remove everything that probably isn't body text
(e.g. texts with a relatively large number of exlamation marks, short
paragraphs without punctuation etc). Eventually store the text and
mark the texts that seem to consist of body text only or garbage only
for manual review.

Naturally, you will want to ignore sites with particular words in them
and domains with particular words, you probably also want to ignore
nonsense domains (say longer than 7 chars with 0 or 1 vowel in them).
I'm sure, you'll find more ways to filter the search results when you
start testing.

Important is that you make your filters adjustable --preferably with a
nice GUI-- so you can tweak them without changing your scripts.

Best regards,

Mark Schonewille

http://economy-x-talk.com
http://www.salery.biz

A large collection of scripts for HyperCard, Revolution, SuperCard and
other programming languages can be found at http://runrev.info