[OT] "They Criticized Vista. And They Should Know."

David Coker davidocoker at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 00:45:40 EDT 2008

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 10:48 PM, Richard Gaskin
<ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:
> Chipp Walters wrote:
>  > IMO, one of the most interesting parts of the new Office interface, is it's
>  > complete disdain for the past. In fact, ask any user of pre-2007 Office how
>  > to simply Open or Print a document, and they're confounded. The old "File,
>  > Edit, ..." menu structure is just GONE. Completely. Replaced by a round
>  > bubble with 1970 pop graphics on it, which doesn't even look like a button.
>  > By my calculation, they saved around 70 pixels in the menu area. Love to
>  > been a fly on the wall in THAT meeting!

I work for an Internet based company that is much to my discontent, a
true blue "Windows shop. As such, I recently purchased Office 2007
primarily for use for the times I have to do work while at home. After
getting accustomed to using it, I actually prefer the "ribbon
navigation system. With that said, I can only think of two compelling
reasons to jump into Office 2007 otherwise:

1. When the company owner starts sending you business documents that
you cannot open, that seem to be very compelling...

2. The expansion of Excel 2007 to accommodate a million rows of data
in the same sheet. You can say goodbye to the need to labor at
splitting large data files into multiple documents just to get real
work done efficiently!

David