newbie level question

Jim Ault JimAultWins at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 12 15:17:20 EDT 2008

On 3/12/08 10:01 AM, "Richard Gaskin" <ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:

> Colin Holgate wrote:
>> Yes, I tried that right after posting my question! It seems that
>> message box variables are not global in the way they were with
>> HyperCard.
>
> HyperCard turned any variables used in the Message Box into globals?  Ouch.

Yep, except for reserved words.

The reason given by someone way back then was that Hypercard was supposed to
be this very extensive network drive access model that meant you could
travel through hundreds of stacks, collecting info in your running Hypercard
space, then return to one of your stacks and use that info.

Of course, any stack you visited that use the same global name would trash
the info you 'gathered', or vice versa, so Ouch is a good word.

Brian (If Monks Had Macs) and I discussed this once in the earliest days of
HCard and agreed it would be rather dangerous.  This means that the user
could type something in the message box that would change the value of a
global you were using.  Make your names unique so the user could not affect
your name space.

Jim Ault
Las Vegas