OT: Best Windows Emulator on Mac?

Robert Brenstein rjb at robelko.com
Tue Mar 4 21:35:46 EST 2008

On 04/03/08 at 22:22 -0300 Andre Garzia apparently wrote:
>Aloha,
>
>I've paid for both parallels and vmware.
>
>parallels was wonderful till version 2, now it's dead slow. VMWare
>fusion works wonderfully, even better than parallels ever did. I am
>very happy with VMWare, one of my best buys ever!
>
>Andre

I was just comparing Parallels and VMware. They seem to be similar in
performance running Windows XP Pro on a brand new iMac, but I read a
review in MacTech that Vista is visibly faster under VMware. Mac must
have 3, preferably 4, GB RAM to run Vista. Parallels is more
integrated with OS X, including lots of visual effects. VMware has a
better (subjectively speaking) feel to it. Parallels has more
goodies, like a utility to resize Windows disk or specifying the
order of devices to boot from, but VMware has somewhat cleaner
control of VM, including being able to look at the setting when
machine runs. Standard apps run fine on either one. Both have
problems when come to playing action games. They do not advertise the
true graphics card to Windows, so games that are particular about
hardware think they are on el-cheapo machine and refuse to run. A few
games that ran, fared a bit better on Parallels. VMware's machine had
some problems with text display.

Robert