Newbie issue - fld vs bg field vs cd field

Timothy Miller gandalf at doctorTimothyMiller.com
Tue Mar 4 16:38:12 EST 2008

Greetings,

I'm don't quite understand when (or if) it is necessary to specify cd
fld "whatever"  vs bg fld "whatever"  vs  fld "whatever" in Rev. When
confusion arises, I'm solving it by trial and error. Some of my
stacks and scripts, retreaded from hypercard, require the correct
field or button specification, or there is "no such object."

I once knew the rules in hyperCard, but they were rather confusing.
As I recall, fields were presumed cd fields, unless specified bg
fields, and buttons were presumed bg buttons, unless specified cd
buttons. As I recall, this was changed in Rev.

It seems to matter that a field or button belongs to a group, if
"behave like a background" is turned on, but I'm not certain. I
looked at the Rev documentation, but couldn't find the explanation.

A brief explanation of the rules for specifying fields and buttons in
Rev scripts would be appreciated. A link or documentation citation
will suffice.

Is it better to ask newbie questions here or on the web forum?

Cheers,

Tim