Revolution Reading GPS Data

Graham Samuel livfoss at mac.com
Tue Mar 4 15:57:41 EST 2008

Thanks Phil for that insight. I had a quick look at your link and
staggered back, appalled. It reminded me of what a gentleman named
Robert Lipe said to me on another list when he thought I was trying
to reverse engineer the USB interface of my device (maybe I was - I
had not considered Rev in the equation at that stage and had even
less idea what I was doing). His advice started off:

> Reverse engineering USB protocols from scratch is possible, but only
> if you pass the entrance exam:
>
> Repeatedly jam a fork into your left eyeball.    If, after about 40
> jabs, your
> thought is "man, this is great - my right eyeball needs a piece of
> this action",
> then reverse engineering USB protocols just might be your calling.

I think I will just go back to sleep on this unless and until I can
find out something more about the device I wanted to interface with.
I suppose that I was seduced by the enormous number of USB-connected
devices that surround me - right here where I'm sitting I can count 2
digital cameras, a printer, a scanner, a hard disk, an ADSL modem, a
keyboard, three mice, a GPS training device, a SatNav, an Elgato TV
receiver, a webcam, a digital storage card reader and a data key. Who
knows what else I might find if I go into the other rooms in the
house? And to think that the people who engineered them all had to
write drivers for PCs and Macs, and (no doubt) they are all
different. Compared to that, Rev programming seems so easy, doesn't it?

Back to the day job.

Graham